The Military Heritage Program works to conserve South Carolina's Revolutionary War sites and interpret this meaningful heritage to the public. PCF has been very successful in preserving several battlefield sites through easements, fee simple purchase, and donation. We sponsor educational tours, seminars, and publications to teach about the Palmetto State’s contribution toward achieving independence.
- PCF helped create a wayside park to mark Fort Charlotte which the Patriots seized on July 12, 1775, the first overt act of the Revolution in SC.
- Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene laid siege to the fort at Ninety Six for 28 days in May and June 1781. PCF acquired the trenches where Col. Light Horse Harry Lee and Col. Andrew Pickens attacked the British and then gave the 30 acres to the National Park Service (NPS).
- Purchase of the site of the Battle of Huck’s Defeat (July 12, 1780) was facilitated by PCF and is preserved within Historic Brattonsville.
- PCF has provided research and interpretation for the Battle of Earle’s Ford on July 14-15, 1780.
- PCF has purchased 477 acres of the core of the battlefield north of Camden where Gen. Cornwallis routed Gen. Horatio Gates on August 16, 1780. Click here to read about our restoration, archaeological and interpretive work.
- Three days after the Patriot defeat at Camden, backwoods militia overcame the Tories and Provincials at Musgrove Mill. PCF acquired 39 acres of battlefield and donated them to SCPRT.
- The victory of the Overmountain Men at Kings Mountain on October 7, 1780 was a major blow to the British. PCF developed a plan for adjacent land problems around the National Military Park and acquired a strategic parcel which we gave to King’s Mountain State Park.
- Col. Thomas Sumter handed Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton his first defeat at Blackstock Plantation on the Tyger River on November 20, 1780. PCF acquired 107 acres of the battlefield and donated it to SCPRT.
- The Battle of Cowpens on January 17, 1781 marks one of the worst disasters of the British southern campaign. PCF is partnering with NPS for a multi-year effort in restoring the landscape. Click here for more information.
- Francis Marion used Snow’s Island as his base of operations from December 1780 to March 1781. Sonoco Products, owner of the island, granted PCF an easement on 70 acres that most likely contains the camp of the Swamp Fox.
- The Battle of Eutaw Springs, September 8, 1781 was the final large battle in South Carolina. PCF has conducted archaeological research and is developing a preservation plan for the battlefield.